With this heat, I have very little appetite. I am easily satisfied with a few bites of whatever I am fixing. But however hungry, or not I am, I need my little dessert at the end of my meal. Sometimes it is a square of chocolate with my evening coffee and sometimes it is a dessert that I fixed. These days I crave fruits, most particularly tropical fruits and citrus.
Today I will offer you a recipe of a very very simple desserts that is very ” summery”: lemon tarts.
Ingredients for a big lemon pie of 9″, or 40 mini:
Juices of 2 lemon, 1 1/4 cup of water, zest of 2 lemon, 3/4 cup of sugar, 3 tbsp of corn starch, 2 box of pie crust ( to be found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store).
- Cut the pie crust to fit your pie crust mold. I wanted to fix bite size lemon pies so I used my mini tartlet mold. I used the 2 1/4 Round to cut my little crust. Place them on my tray, perforate each tartlet with a fork and bake them at 400 for 8-10 or just until they are a nice golden color.
- While the tartlets cool off, prepare the lemon filling. In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to boil.
- In another bowl, mix the 1/2 cup of water with the corn starch and mix well!!
- Add the lemon, lemon rind, sugar and mix.
- Add this mixture to the boiling water and stir. The mixture should thicken.
- Bring it to boil again and once it does, lower the temperature to medium low and cook for 2 minutes or until the mixture has began to thicken.
- Add the 2 egg yolks and mix well. Set it aside.
8. Whip some heavy cream into a whipped cream and empty the mixture in a separate pastry bag.
9. Pipe first the lemon in each tartlet and then pipe the whipped cream. And grate some lemon zest for added color. Et voila!!!! Very satisfying dessert!!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!