In France, Creme de Marron is very popular. It is even more popular around the holidays. You will find many desserts with creme de marrons as a filling instead of Chocolate or peanut butter. My mom loved Creme de Marrons, and she would eat it by the teaspoon. I found it okay, but really preferred chocolate over Creme de Marrons.
It is so funny how your tastebud evolves as you age. Today i like it better and I have been indulging. I am eating it for breakfast on toasted bread, for snacks by the teaspoon and for desserts. Yeah, I know.. not so good for my waist.. but it is holidays right;-) We can indulge….
This evening I will offer you a recipe that was well appreciated at one of my last cooking class. It is easy to make, very healthy and so so good!
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes size purses:
- 1 pack of phylll dough thawed out
- 3 pears peeled, sliced and cubed in very small cubes
- 12 tbsp of Creme de marron, or chocolate paste such as Nutella if you do not have creme de marron.
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of melted butter, or olive oil.
- Roll the pastry out. Cut square of 6 inches wide. Peel off three layers of the phyllo and place those 3 layer square in each opening of the cupcake mold. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the diced pears with 2 tbsp. of brown sugar.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the diced pear mixture into each phyllo cup. Top the pear with 1 tbsp of creme de marrons, (or nutella if you do not have creme de marrons).
- Pinch the four sides together to close up the purse. With a pastry brush, brush the top of each purse with the melted butter, or olive oil.
- Cook in a warm oven at 400 for 12 minutes or until the top is a golden brown color.
- Eat warm with ice-cream or whipped cream. YUM!!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!