As a blog writer I like to look at other blogs for the picture, and the content. There is a blog I came across the other day called Hungry happenings. I really like the stuff she does, it is cute and some of the things she writes are perfect for some of the children cooking class I offer.
Anyway for valentine’s she made some mozzarella tartlets.
What a fun idea!! I will tell you that it is what gave me the idea to use the cans of Italian tomatoes I had bought last week at Costco.
Ingredients for 12-15 heart:
- 1 pie crust package ( 2 in 1 pack)
- 1 mozzarella block sliced in 1/5 or 1/6 of an inch
- 1 can of Italian tomatoes of about 28oz.
- 1 tbsp of fresh oregano.
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of pepper
- Purée the tomatoes with a blender or a mixer.
- In a medium saucepan, pour the tomato sauce, and add all the other ingredients mentioned above for the tomato sauce. Bring to boil.
- While the tomato sauce is cooking, prepare the heart mozarella hearts. With a heart cookie cutter of about 2 inches, cut the pie crust.
- Cut the mozzarella with a heart cookie cutter one size smaller than the one used for the dough. You will need to only cut half of the pie crust heart.
- Place one mozzarella heart on each heart. Then place one heart pie on top of the mozzarella.
- With a fork, press the sides down to close up the pie.
- Place the heart-shaped mozzarella pies on a large silpat that you would have placed on a silpat.
- Make an egg wash, and with a pastry brush, brush each heart.
- Sprinkle some parmesan on top of each heart.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes at 375.
- Et voila! Serve with the tomato sauce and enjoy!!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!