One of my children’s favorite food is Hachi Parmentier and I thought that it would be fun to make this dish into cupcakes so that we could easily just pop them into our mouth on any of our family movie night.
What is Hachi parmentier? Hachi parmentier is very similar to Sheppard Pie. It is a dish that layer minced ground beef in between layers of mashed potatoes.
According to Wikipedia, the word “hachis” means a dish in which the ingredients are chopped or minced, from the same root as the English word “hatchet”. The dish “Hachi Parmentier” was named after Antoine-Augustin Parmentier, a French pharmacist, nutritionist, and inventor who, in the late 18th century, was instrumental in the promotion of the potato as an edible crop.
I did not know that about this dish, what i knew is that this dish is one of those easy French comforting recipe that is quickly made and that makes everyone happy. A bit like a good Mac and Cheese does here in the USA.
It used to be one of my top dish growing up, and I am happy to see that it is the same for my children;-)
Ingredients for 40 mini cupcakes:
- 1 pack of wontons or 40 wontons wraps
- 6 medium-sized potatoes,
- 2 1/2 cup of heavy cream,
- 1 lb. of lean ground beef,
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped,
- 1 medium onion,
- 1 cup of swiss cheese,
- 1/8 tsp of garlic salt,
- 1/16 tsp of pepper,
To make the Hachi Parmentier, you will need to make mashed potatoes, you may make them the traditional way cooked in water, or you can cook them in the round mold and save time!!!
- Peel the potatoes, dice them in small cubes, place them in the round mold.
- Add 1 tsp of water and a dash of salt.
- Cover the round mold with the octogonal silpat and microwave for 13-15 minutes.
- Empty the potatoes into a bowl and mash the potatoes with a potato press until it is very smooth. Add the warm heavy cream that you would have previously warmed up in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic salt, the pepper and stir. Add more salt if you deem it necessary.
- Pour the mashed potatoes back into the large round mold again, cover with the octogonal silpat and cook for another 2 minutes to make them fluffy.
- Set aside.Now you need to prepare the beef that will go in the mashed potatoes.
- Slice and dice your onion.
- Saute your onion in a frying pan in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until golden and translucent.
- Stir in the beef and cook it until it turns brown. Add 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of fresh parsley ( dry parsley is fine too). Taste and add more seasoning if you think it requires more salt.
- Place a wonton wrap into each cupcake hole of the mini muffin tray.
- Spoon about 1 tsp of potato into each wonton.
- Add 1 tsp of the meat mixture.
- Cover the meat with another teaspoon of mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle some swiss cheese over each cupcake.
- Cook in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes to brown the cheese. Et voila!!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!