Lemon Meyers are my favorite fruit! I love their tangy taste and their fragrant flavor. There is nothing like it. If you have not tried Meyer Lemons, they are very difficult to describe. I think that their flavor almost equates to a mix of lemon and tangerine.
Meyer lemons are not easy to find. Not all stores carry them, plus they are very seasonal so when i find them, I grabbed them;-)
I made this recipe a few weeks ago but did not have the chance to post it before now. The recipe I post today was inspired by a recipe viewed on Saveur called The Best Damn Myer Lemon Cake and adapted to cook in my demarle bakeware.
Ingredients for 1 large pound cake, 3 medium-sized of 1 1/2 qt, or 12 cupcake sized.
- 8 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup of almond mill
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1 1/3 plus 3 tbsp of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp of lemon extract
- zest and juice of 2 Meyer Lemons
- 1 Meyer Lemon sliced in thin rounds for the candied lemon
- Turn the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer place the butter and the sugar and beat until the mixture becomes fluffy. Add one egg at a time, beating only to incorporate.
- Add the flour and the milk in 3 batches. First add the four, then add the milk, and repeat this process until you have used all the flour and milk. Beat after each addition.
- Mix in the lemon extract.
- Then the zest, and the almond mill.
- Pour the batter into the pan of your choice and cook until the center of the cake is cooked. For the large cake, I used the sunflower mold, for the medium cake I used the daisy mold as shown below, and for the cupcake ones, i used the charlotte tray.
- Cook the cake in a warm oven of 350 For one cake, it will take 45-50 minutes, for 3 small cakes of 1 quart: 25 minutes, for cupcakes size: 15-20 minutes. For regular cookware, cook the large for 65 minutes, the medium for 35 minutes, and the cupcake for 25 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup and the candied lemon.
- In a small saucepan, add the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar and cook until the sugar has dissolved but does not come to boil. Add the sliced Meyer Lemon and cook at low temperature for 15 minutes until the lemon looks translucent.
- When the cake, or cakes are cooked, place them onto a cooling rack and drizzled the syrup over the cake.
- Let the cake cool completely before wrapping into plastic wrap to keep them moist.
- Let them stand at room temperature before serving.
- Before serving the cakes, place the candied lemon on top. If you wish, you may serve some lemon flavored whipped cream to eat with it. Yum;-)