Scalloped Potato gratin, or Gratin dauphinois in French, is a traditional regional French dish from the historic Dauphiné region in south-east France. The gratin is made essentially of potato, cream, swiss cheese and a hint of garlic and nutmeg.
This past Sunday, I decided to vary things up a bit and substituted cheddar cheese for the swiss cheese, and scallions for the garlic and nutmeg. Result: everybody was happy and went for second. Yeah;-)
Originally the dish is made with uncooked potatoes that are sliced very thinly, and the potatoes are cooking in the cream for an hour meanwhile absorbing the cream and becoming soft and delicious. Though the recipe is excellent as is, it takes a long time to cook ( 1 hour) and is not convenient to fix on a school night or even on an evening. So here I used pre-cooked potatoes to shorten the recipe considerably.
Ingredients for 1 casserole dish ( for 6-8) or 4 very hungry people;-)
- 8 medium-sized potatoes or about 2 lbs. of potatoes peeled
- 2 cup of cream
- 2 cup of cheddar cheese
- 6 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- Turn the oven to 400.
- Slice the potatoes very thinly and place them in the large round mold, place the octogonal silpat on top and microwave for 5 minutes. If you do not have a large mold, place the peeled potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water and cook the potatoes for 15 minutes. The potatoes should still be hard. Let them cool. Then slice them thinly.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes into a dish of your choice. I will be re-using my large round mold because nothing sticks in those molds, and the clean-up will be easy.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper, half of the green onions over the potatoes. You may also want to add some and red pepper flakes if you wanted. We did.
- Then sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover the cheese with what is left of the potatoes and repeat the process.
- Pour the cream over the potatoes, but more on the sides so you will not wash off any of the seasonings.
- Cook in a warm oven of 400 for 30 minutes. Et voila!I served those wonderful potatoes with a rack of baby ribs, and lemon and dill steamed green beans. Yummy!!!
What did you have this past Sunday?
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!
If you like this recipe, I would love for you to subscribe to this blog by entering your e-mail address into the box on the right of this post. Also if you have time, please rate or post a comment. Your comments are always much appreciated. Thank you