My daughter loves, loves caesar salad. She loves it so much, in fact, that every time we eat out ( which is not that often;-) she orders a caesar salad as an appetizer.
In all the years that she has asked for them, I have come to realize what a good caesar salad is. A good salad is not one that has chopped romaine lettuce, croutons, shredded parmesan and caesar dressing. Everybody can do that!!!
A good caesar salad needs to have a real caesar dressing made from scratch!!!
Gerhard’s cafe, here in Spartanburg makes his from scratch and it is fabulous. My brother-in-law also makes a good one. I actually learned to make my dressing from him. Though in 20 years, my recipe may have changes a bit from his.
Ingredients for 4-6 people:
- 1/2 tsp of anchovy paste
- 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove minced or pressed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/16 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp of grated parmesan
- salt to taste ( you may need any as the anchovies are salty
- 2 heads of romaine salad, rinsed, and chopped
- 1/2 cup or more of croutons
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan
- In a large bowl, mix the garlic, anchovy paste, egg, lemon juice, and pepper together.
- In a slow stream pour the olive oil slowly in this mixture while whisking the dressing. Whisk until the dressing is thickening.
- Add the parmesan to the dressing and whisk.
- Add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if you deem necessary.
- Add the chopped salad and toss.
- Add the croutons, the shredded parmesan and toss again.
- Serve on individual plates and eat up;-)
So easy and so yummy!!!
This salad dressing will only keep for 1-2 day as the yolk is fresh and not cooked!!! Do not keep longer!!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!