The first time I was introduced to a casserole was about 15 years ago. My husband and I had been invited to a dinner party/ dinner club and everyone had been invited to contribute to the meal by bringing something. I cannot recall what i brought, but what i recalled is the food that i tasted. Some was good, some average and some just below average. What i remembered is a green bean casserole. I had never seen green beans served other than steamed, sauteed in a pan, or served as a salad before that evening. I tasted it and though many people went on and on about it, i was really not impressed.
I will tell you that I never really ventured to make a green bean casserole until this week-end. In the october issue of Fine Cooking, there was a recipe that looked so yummy that I needed to try it. Except that i hardly followed the recipe because I did not have everything on hand.
Ingredients for a casserole of 8-10 people:
- 2 lbs of green beans rinsed and trimmed
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 1 box of mushroom
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 cup of broth
- 1 cup of milk/ or cream
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the leeks, chop them very thinly and set them aside.
- Slice the onion in half. Slice 1 half in thin rings.
- Place them into a bowl, drizzle some flour, mix them well.
- Fry them a bit a time in a sauteed pan until they are golden brown. Set them aside.
- Chop the other half of the onion.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and cook it until it is sizzling. Add the onion and saute them until they are becoming a light yellow and are translucent. Add the leek and do the same.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook them until they are brown and the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the flour and stir well.
- Add the white wine and bring the mixture to boil.
- Lower the temperature, add the broth, the cream and cook until the mixture is thickening.
- Meanwhile, steam the beans for 4 minutes until they are cooked, but firm.
- I choose the use my round mold to steam the beans because it is much quicker: trim the green beans and place them into a large round bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Place the octogonal silpat on top to close it off and cook the beans in the microwave for 6 minutes.
- Drain the water, place the beans into a casserole dish. I chose my large round mold again because it is non-stick so no scrubbing;-) when it will be cleaning time.
- Pour the sauce over the beans, mix well and cook the “casserole” for 20-30 minutes.
- When it is time to serve the casserole, mix the casserole to distribute the sauce. Sprinkle the sauteed onions over the casserole and enjoy;-)
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!
One thought on “Green Bean Casserole My French Way;-)”
You are sharing such a wonderful recipe. Green Bean is my father’s favorite dish. But i don’t think
that i can make it at home because i never had made this recipe before.
Comments are closed.