Theo, my child came inside this afternoon and opened all the cabinets in search of a hot cocoa mix. There was not one. So he asked if I knew where it would be.. of course no where. he looked so disappointed that i decided to make some from scratch. It is really not that hard. In fact there is nothing easier than hot cocoa. All yu need is good quality chocolate and milk.
Yes, unlike the urban belief, hot cocoa is not made with cream or half and half, the thickness comes from the chocolate. In fact if you do not believe me, let the hot cocoa cool a bit and you will see that it will become very thick almost as thick as a chocolate fudge or syrup. Yum!!!!
I topped the top of the hot cocoa with whipped cream, but you would need to.
Ingredients for 4 small cups:
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 130 gr. of 5 oz of chocolate chips ( bittersweet with 60% cocoa minimum)
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- Place the milk into a cup and warm it up in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Pour the hot milk over the chocolate chips. stir and pour it into a small saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to boil. When the mixture has boiled, turn off the heat.
- Beat the cream into hard peaks. Pour the chocolate into 4 teacups ( this is so rich, that you will not need to have more).
- Spoon a dollop of whipped cream over the hot chocolate.
- Sprinkle a few chocolate beads over the whipped cream and without much , enjoy this yummy delightful brew.
Even better with macarons;-)
Bon Appetit and Happy Coioking!!!