This morning, I did not feel like croissant or baguette, or toasts. I felt like a fancy breakfast. Why not? It was Mother’s day after all so I had to right to splurge;-) So I made my strawberry parfait that I showed you yesterday and I also fixed me a few Crepes Flambee with Mango and Rhum.
Crepes are not hard to make, but they require a hot pan, a non-stick frying pan and the right crepe batter.
Ingredients for about 10-12 crepes:
- 3 oz of flour,
- 1 egg,
- 3 oz. of milk,
- 1/4 or 3 oz. of any beer.
- 2 tbsp of butter melted in a small bowl.
Ingredients to flambe 4 crepes at a time. (you will need to do this 4 times if you have 12 crepes and are serving 4 people.
- 1/4 cup of mango juice
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of rhum.
- Take a large bowl and place the flour in the bowl.
- Curve a hole in the flour, and slowly pour the milk while mixing with a whisk. Be careful to whisk slowly so as to make the mixture smooth and free of lumps.
- Then add the egg and mix well.
- Add the beer and mix well also. The mixture should be smooth and liquid, but not too liquid.
- Turn the stove to medium high and place the frying pan on the stove. The frying pan should be hot before starting to fix the pancakes .
- With a paper towel or a brush, spread butter on the walls of the frying pan and pour a small ladle of crepe mixture. Move the frying pan in a circle motion so that the dough has spread to the entire surface of the pan. Cook for 1 minute. With a spatula, flip the crepe and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the crepes flat on a plate. Sprinkle some sugar. Continue the process until you have exhausted all the batter.
- When you have exhausted all the batter, place a large frying pan on the stove, melt 1 tbsp of butter.
- Add 1/4 cup of any fruit juice ( i used mango), and 2 tbsp of sugar. Bring the mixture to boil and reduce the mixture to half.
- Fold 3 to 4 crepes in triangles and place them into the frying pan. Cook the crepes for a minute or 2.
- Add 2 tbsp of rhum, or any alcohol of your choice to the pan. With a lighter, light the rhum and it will flame.
- Let the flame go out on its own and serve hot. Yum!!!
What a wonderful breakfast I had. I hope yours was equally as good;-)
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!