As a cook, and as what people perceives as a “talented chef” I am often asked to do things and there. I had a small catering job this past Saturday and the lady of event was also hosting a birthday party for her child that same morning. She was so overwhelmed that she asked me to help her fix a fun snack for the kiddos that were coming to the birthday party. She wanted for those snacks to be in a decorated lunch box and she wanted the snacks to fit the theme of Apples and Farm.
After showing me a few picture of what she was thinking, we agreed to use the ides of a snack that Cute Food for Kids Web Blogger had posted on her blog.
I purchased the box at a near store and purchased a few stickers at Micheals to make the farm scene. Of course, you could decorate the box however you wanted.
The snack consisted of an apple shaped umbrella and a cloud cut sandwich.
The Apple Umbrella:
I purchased red delicious because they are a beautiful red color and the color is even unlike many other apples.
- Once you have chosen your apples, you will need to wash them well under running water.
- Then look for the most even side of the apple and cut the apple in half.
- Then starting at the top of the apple, cut two lines down to make a triangle.
- With your knife, trace two other triangles aside this main triangle.
- With the tip of the knife, slide under the skin of the apple and remove the skin as shown below.
6. When the apples is carved, place it into a water bath with either a few drops of lemon, or a bit of salt.
7. Continue with the rest of the apples.
8. Right before you are ready to fix the boxes, place the handle of the “umbrella”. I could not use cute food picks, so I purchased cake pegs instead that I broke a bit to shorten them.
9. When you are done with the apples, proceed with the sandwiches.
The Cloud Sandwich:
I used honey wheat to make it a bit healthier. The filling of the sandwich was peanut butter and nutella, but of course you can use anything else.
Since I was not able to find a cloud shaped cookie cutter, I purchased a large daisy cookie cutter and bent it so that it would look like a cloud.
Place the sandwich and the umbrellas into each box and close. C’est tout!!! To cute!!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!