Scalloped Potato gratin, or Gratin dauphinois in French, is a traditional regional French dish from the historic Dauphiné region in south-east France. The gratin is made essentially of potato, cream, swiss cheese and a hint of garlic and nutmeg.
This past Sunday, I decided to vary things up a bit and substituted cheddar cheese for the swiss cheese, and scallions for the garlic and nutmeg. Result: everybody was happy and went for second. Yeah;-)
Originally the dish is made with uncooked potatoes that are sliced very thinly, and the potatoes are cooking in the cream for an hour meanwhile absorbing the cream and becoming soft and delicious. Though the recipe is excellent as is, it takes a long time to cook ( 1 hour) and is not convenient to fix on a school night or even on an evening. So here I used pre-cooked potatoes to shorten the recipe considerably.
Ingredients for 1 casserole dish ( for 6-8) or 4 very hungry people;-)
- 8 medium-sized potatoes or about 2 lbs. of potatoes peeled
- 2 cup of cream
- 2 cup of cheddar cheese
- 6 scallions chopped
- 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- Turn the oven to 400.
- Slice the potatoes very thinly and place them in the large round mold, place the octogonal silpat on top and microwave for 5 minutes. If you do not have a large mold, place the peeled potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water and cook the potatoes for 15 minutes. The potatoes should still be hard. Let them cool. Then slice them thinly.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes into a dish of your choice. I will be re-using my large round mold because nothing sticks in those molds, and the clean-up will be easy.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper, half of the green onions over the potatoes. You may also want to add some and red pepper flakes if you wanted. We did.
- Then sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover the cheese with what is left of the potatoes and repeat the process.
- Pour the cream over the potatoes, but more on the sides so you will not wash off any of the seasonings.
- Cook in a warm oven of 400 for 30 minutes. Et voila!I served those wonderful potatoes with a rack of baby ribs, and lemon and dill steamed green beans. Yummy!!!
What did you have this past Sunday?
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!
If you like this recipe, I would love for you to subscribe to this blog by entering your e-mail address into the box on the right of this post. Also if you have time, please rate or post a comment. Your comments are always much appreciated. Thank you
It had been a while since I made some brownies. Not because I don’t like them, but because if I make them i will eat them, and I do not, do not need to eat them.
Well this past Wednesday we had a faculty meeting at our school, and many times teachers are asked to bring a snack to serve at those meetings. This time was my turn. After thinking what to cook, I decided on something chocolate. Who does not like chocolate???Brownies are also so easy to make that I decided to make a batch. Of course, it is more fun to try a new recipe than to use an old one so I used a new one from “Chocolate” by Better Homes and Garden 2012.
Ingredients for about 40 small brownies:
- 3 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp of butter softened
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup of flour and 1 tbsp of flour
- 3/4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 6 oz. of chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 2 1/4 cup of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- Turn the oven to 375. Place the flexipat on a medium perforated sheet. Place the metal frame inside the flexipat.
- In a bowl, stir 1 1/4 cup of flour, baking powder, sat and set aside.
- In a bowl, place the chocolate and 1 stick and 1/2 of butter and microwave for 90 seconds or until they are both completely melted.
- Add 2 1/4 cup of sugar to the chocolate mixture while beating on low-speed.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beating well each time.
- Add the milk, vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Spread this mixture into the flexipan. Shake the pan by hitting the end against your counter to make the batter spread evenly out.
- Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the cream cheese and 2 tbsp of butter until it is becoming creamy.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar and mix well.
- Add the egg and mix. Then add 1 tbsp of flour and combine.
- Pour this mixture over the batter into lines.
- With a knife, go from left to right to make zizzag pattern into brownie.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan completely before unmolding the cake and cutting it into squares.
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!
Wouldn’t you like to learn to cook a quick, and easy meal that is also delicious and beautiful in appearance. Well, I hope your answer is “YES!!!!”.
So I invite you all to come to my cooking class this Thursday night to learn to cook:
- Mozzarella and Tomato Caprese
- Delight Ginger chicken
- Rice Pilaf
- Dill Green Beans
- and Summer Fruit Tartlets…
Doesn’t it sound amazing?! Now, what if I told you that preparing such a gourmet dinner would not take you more than 30 minutes… Are you sold yet?
So come on to my house this Thursday to learn to prepare such a delicious meal. Just let me know so I will know how much to prepare for at 864-494-4494 or e-mail me at Cecile.email@example.com
Free for first time attendees ( $25 otherwise. Fee will be waived if an order is placed)