I always stay busy. But when I finally find a minute to relax, I love to read culinary magazines, and flip through the pages of various cookbooks in search of inspiring recipes. Yesterday, I had seen a recipe of fish served with a vanilla sauce. It sparked my interest so much that today it was all I thought of. I imagined the type of fish I could use, and the vegetables to accompany it. So as soon as I got out of work, I went to the Fresh Market, and bought fresh corn on the cob and salmon. I was determined to cook that recipe. I actually followed the recipe to the letter even though some of the ingredients were somewhat surprising: vanilla, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, bourbon, broth and cream. I was a little sceptic, but the picture was really appetizing so I decided to go ahead.
What a disaster. That was awful! So much for a yummy dinner. I was not beaten though. I was determined to fix my fish with a vanilla sauce. And so I improvised.
Whoah… that combination of flavor was amazing! I was almost in heaven. I totally loved the mixture of tastes. You need to try!!!
Ingredients for 2 persons:
- 1 salmon filet of about 3-4 inches.
- maple syrup
Ingredients for the cream of corn:
- 1 tbsp of butter,
- 1/4 sweet onion diced,
- 4 corn husks,
- 1/4 heavy cream
- and pepper to taste,
- (1 tsp of vanilla extract if wanted)
- 1/3 cup of water.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1/3 of a vanilla bean
- Place the salmon on the flexipan.
- Pour some maple syrup in a little container, and with a brush, glaze the filet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a warm oven at 350 for 8 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking, place the corn on the cob ( 4) in a large round mold, cover it with the octogonal silpat, and cook in microwave for 5 minutes or for 10 minutes in the oven.
- Remove the corn from the husk with a knife. You may season with salt and pepper or not ( I did not).
You may also fix a cream of corn instead: 1 tbsp of butter, 1/4 sweet onion diced, 4 corn husks, 1/4 heavy cream. salt and pepper to taste, (1 tsp of vanilla extract if wanted). 1/3 cup of water.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and saute the onions until they become translucent and golden.
- Throw in the corn kernels that you would have previously removed from the cob with a knife.
- Add 1/3 cup of water. Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the 1/4 cup of heavy cream and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- For the sauce, Pour 1/4 cup of heavy cream in a saucepan and place 1/3 of a vanilla bean that you would have previously cut in half and remove the seeds.
- Bring to boil, and let it simmer until the cream has reduced to half and has become thicker.
To serve, spoon the corn on the plate, place the filet on top of the corn, and drizzle the vanilla sauce over it.
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!!