If you have read a few of my posts, you must know that I buy my food much on impulses and yesterday was not different. There was a tray of fresh peach from Georgia at the grocery store, and as I passed it I could not help noticing their pleasant fragrant. Not sure yet if those peaches were gonna be good, I decided to only buy two. You just never know… sometimes they smell great, but they lack taste.
There was a shrimp recipe that I had seen in Cook Fresh Fine Cooking Magazine of Fall 2012 that I wanted to try and thought that those peaches could make a great side to that recipe so I bought them to make a salad with them. The recipe for the Pineapple and Soy marinated shrimps was inspired by a recipe called Tex-Mex Grilled Shrimps that was posted in the Cooking Magazine in 2012.
The shrimps can be eaten warm, or cold. I personally ate them cold with the Peach Salad for my lunch today. Yummy and so fresh!!!
Ingredients for the Marinated Shrimps for 3 people:
- about 24 Shrimps or about 1 1/2 lb of large shrimps ( fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of light sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 medium clove pressed
- 2 inches of fresh ginger grated
- 1 small lime
- zest of one lime
Ingredients for the Peach Salsa:
- 2 small ripe but firm peaches
- 1 avocado ripe but firm
- 1/3 cup of fresh jicama.
- 3 scallions or about 1 tbsp. of chopped scallions.
- 1 lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of champagne vinegar
- a dash of pepper
- a dash of salt
- If the shrimps are frozen, thaw them out by placing them into a plastic bag and placing the bag into lukewarm water. The shrimps will thaw out within 30 minutes.
- Rinse the shrimps under running water and pat them dry.
- Place them into a large bowl and add all the ingredients mentioned above in the shrimps recipe. Marinade them for 30 minutes at least.
- Meanwhile prepare the Peach Salad:
- Rinse the peaches under running water and pat them dry.
- With a sharp knife, cut the peaches into quarters. Then dice those quarters into 1/3 inch cubes. Place those cubes into a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut the avocado in half. Place a spoon in between the avocado flesh and the skin and remove the avocado fruit from its shell. Slice the avocado in half and then cut the avocado in 1/3 inch cubes as well. Place the cubed avocado atop the cubes peaches.
- Peel the skin of the jicama root. Slice the jicama in half. Then slice the jicama in 1/3 inch wide slices. Cut those slices into cubes as well. Place about 1/3 cup of those cube with the rest of the fruits.
- Add the chopped scallions, salt, pepper, lime zest, lime juice, 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 tbsp of champagne vinegar and stir. Set aside.
- Remove the shrimps from the marinade and place them into a deep flexipat that you would have placed onto a medium perforated sheet. You may want to skewer 6-8 the shrimps onto a wooden stick, but it is not necessary.
- Cook the shrimps for 5-6 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the peach salad on individual plates. And place shrimps atop the salad. Bon Appetit;-)
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!
If you like this recipe, I would love for you to subscribe to this blog by entering your e-mail address into the box on the right of this post. Also if you have time, please rate or post a comment. Your comments are always much appreciated. Thank you