One of my dad’s favorite was Poire Belle-Helene, or Pear Belle Helene. It is a dessert made of Poached Pears atop vanilla ice-cream, and covered with Chocolate Syrup and toasted almond. It is delicious and really easy to do.
According to Wikepedia, “Poire belle Hélène was created around 1864 by Auguste Escoffier and named after the operetta La belle Hélène by Jacques Offenbach.” The original Simpler versions replace poached pears with canned pears and crystallized violets with sliced almonds.
I love the combination of vanilla, chocolate and pear. It is a comforting dessert, warm and delicious.
This past Saturday I was in the mood for those combinations, but was also craving cheesecake instead of ice-cream so that is when I decided to combine all those ingredients to make this dessert.
Ingredients for 12 people:
Ingredients for the Pear Compote:
- 3 pears peeled and cored
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 1/8 tsp of tonka powder, if you can’t find any replace with cardamom
- After coring and peeling the pears, slice them in half and cube them very small.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and when the butter is sizzling, add the diced pears. Mix well.
- Add the sugar, the water and the tonka or cardamom spice.
- Bring to a boil and when it is boiling, reduce the heat down and cook until the liquid has reduced to half.
- When it is done, remove it from the heat and let it cook completely.
Ingredients for the Chocolate Syrup:
- 1 cup of chocolate of good quality ( I use Ghiradhelli)
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Place the heavy cream into a microwable safe bowl and cook the cream for 2 minutes or until it is really hot. ( you may cook the cream over the stove if you do not want to use the microwave).
- Place the chocolate chips into a small bowl. Pour the hot cream over it and let it sit for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes mix the cream and the ganache will be perfect, free of lumps;-)
Ingredients for 12 individual lingot cheesecakes:
- ▪ 387.5 gr or about 14 oz of cream cheese at room temperature ( about 1 1/2 cream cheese bar)
- 110 gr. or about 1/2 cup of sugar
- ▪100 gr. or about 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 80 gr. or about 2 medium-sized eggs
- 13 gr. , or about 3 tsp of egg yolks
- 13 gr. , or about 3 tsp of corn starch
- 70 gr. , or about 1/4 cup and 1 tsp of heavy cream
- a vanilla bean
- Place the cream cheese in a kitchen mixer and beat it.
- Add the sour cream and mix again.
- Add the sugar, egg yolks, eggs and beat it again until the texture is free of lumps.
- remove the vanilla seeds from the bean with a sharp knife and mix it with the heavy cream. Add the corn starch and beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a fleximold of your choice. I chose the lingot tray.
- Cook in the oven for 50 minutes at 194.
- When the cheesecakes are cooked, let them cool and place them in the fridge to cool for a few hours ( overnight is better).
- The following day, remove the cheesecake one at a time and dip them into the warm chocolate ganache to half.
- Place the cheesecake on individual plates.
- Place a few tablespoons of the pear compote on top of the cheesecake and drizzle of bit of the chocolate on the side of the cheesecake for added decoration. Et voila!
If you wish to serve more pear compote, spoon the pear compote on the plate, place the cheesecake on top of it, drizzle some chocolate over the cheesecake et voila!
Bon Appetit and Happy Cooking!!!